2018 is officially here, which means it’s time to set yourself up for a happy and healthy year. Many people use the start of a new year to reflect and make some positive changes in their life, something which we fully embrace. From finally securing that yoga membership to trading in french fries for salads, there are many different ways to get healthy and help yourself feel better. While many people are focusing on toning up and getting that six pack, we encourage you to consider focusing on your vision this year. It’s no secret that your eyesight is a critical part of your health, but for some reason we often neglect our eyes. Many of us take our good vision for granted, not even giving the eyes a second thought until there is an issue or something appears to be wrong.
However, we are here to tell you there are a handful of things you can do to keep your eyes healthy all year long. Don’t worry, we aren’t talking lofty goals or complete lifestyle changes, just a few small tips that will ensure your vision stays healthy and strong throughout 2018. Here at First Eye Care, we are committed to helping each and every patient who walks through our doors achieve optimal health and wellness when it comes to their eyes. Our Arlington vision center offers a wide range of services and maintains a knowledgeable staff in order to meet your needs and help you find the right solutions. We encourage you to come see us today if you have any additional questions about the eye care tips below. We are here for you! Now, here are five eye care tips for 2018:
- Schedule an annual comprehensive exam – According to the National Eye Institute, everyone (even those with healthy eyesight) should undergo a comprehensive eye exam each year. This exam will show a lot and will be able to catch any potential problems before they escalate. Your eye doctor will be able to put together a complete report, showing your progress and the overall health of your eyes. This is an excellent way to ensure your eyes remain healthy and you don’t find yourself with an issue out of the blue.
- Look at your family eye health history – Just like many other conditions and diseases, your eye health is often genetic. If your parents or grandparents had cataracts or glaucoma, for example, there is a good chance you will, too. By making it a point to understand your family eye health history, you will be better prepared to tackle this issue before they become a real problem.
- Pay attention to what you are eating – We all know we are supposed to eat a lot of carrots to maintain good eye health, right? In addition, it is important to eat a balanced diet that is rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. These foods can do a lot to improve your eye health, and overall wellness, for that matter.
- Where UV protective sunglasses – While we all love a good pair of fashion sunglasses, it is important you opt for UV protective sunglasses in order to protect your eyes from harmful UV rays. This is particularly important if you live in a sunny climate or do a lot of outdoor activities. If you are unsure about which sunglasses to choose, swing by our Arlington vision center and allow us to help you.
- Rest your eyes – In today’s modern society we are constantly looking at screens – whether your phone, television, computer, or tablet. This can cause serious damage to the eyes over time, which is why it is important to take frequent breaks in order to reduce eye strain.
Wishing you a very Happy New Year from all of us at First Eye Care! Please give us a call today or swing by to learn more about how to care for your eyes this year.